Monday, March 23, 2015

My Very First Bokeh in Cardmaking

Good Morning to all my followers, viewers and friends,
It's day 82 of our calendar year and it's Monday.  We have only a few more days left to celebrate National Craft Month (March).  If you haven't been creative, it's time to pull something out whether old or new and join in during these last few days.  Yes, go forward!  I did!
I would like to share with you a card which uses the technique called bokeh (boh-kay).  It is usually equated or seen with photography.  If you take pictures like I do, it is the blur produced in the out-of focus parts of an image or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. This is an interesting technique that I have been wanting to try and I am so glad that I finally did.
Supplies I used:
watercolor paper; water and paint brush; gelatos; sponge dauber; circle mask punched from clear plastic; white ink;
Technique:


 Adhere painters tape around edges of watercolor paper and brush paper with water using a paintbrush
I'm using gelatos with water to cover my paper
I started with cotton candy (it looks blue) and applied it randomly on the watercolor paper  
I then applied lemon (yellow) and red cherry (red).  I used the heat gun to dry my paper...(just couldn't wait for it to air dry but it is recommended)
 After the drying, I used the masks of circles that I had prepared and placed it over the card and pounced on the white ink with a sponge dauber.  I moved the template around and covered more areas.
 Here is  what it looks like after the above step.








Remove the painters tape and let this air dry.









This is  the finished card (my very first bokeh)..  what a great technique to give your background an interesting look to highlight your focal image.  I like it.  This is easy to create and can be varied in many ways to get just the look you are after.

Thanks for visiting with me today.  If you have questions about anything you did not understand, please leave a comment and I'll get back with you.
Sending you a hug and LOVE
Lois 

3 comments:

Lisa Young said...

Great technique!! Beautiful card design!!

Treva said...

Nice, like the outcome; tfs the technique.

Studio at 215 said...

Very pretty and perfect explanation of the technique. Thank you!